Re: System Mail question

From: Mac Mason <mac@cs.hmc.edu>
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 14:42:15 AKDT

I'm a bit curious as to what "system mail" is in this context.
Specifically, I think of "system mail" as messages sent to postmaster,
root, webmaster, etc.

That stuff is all managed through the aliases file (most likely either
/etc/aliases or /etc/mail/aliases).

(On the other hand, that might not be the question at all)

    --Mac

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 02:54:04PM -0800, Stanley Long wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 13:43, Dan Wolf wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > Recently I set up a new box with SUSE 9.1. During installation, when I got to the point of adding regular users (not root) there is a check box in the add user window to allow receiving system mail. I did not check the box and continued the installation along with adding all the packages and then updating everything.
> > Is there a simple way to have the system mail be sent to my user account? This system uses Postfix as it's MTA.
> >
> In my SuSE 9.0, the system variables are written to commented files in
> /etc/sysconfig/
>
> YAST has its /etc/sysconfig editor at:
> System --> Editor-for-/etc/sysconfig-files
>
> Be aware that the KDE people may want to micro-manage YAST functions.
> Anything set in YAST itself plays the same across desktop options.
> Things that Gnome or KDE set up sometimes don't.
>
> If you don't get a more complete answer from aklug, I will open the
> topic tonight at Friday Linux (Muldoon Mall, back door in center of
> building after 6:30+)
>
> I have 9.1 on the alternate HD in my box.

Julian "Mac" Mason                            mac@cs.hmc.edu
Computer Science '06                          (909)-607-3129
Harvey Mudd College