re: Re: [Fwd: Re: Office Max $19 Microsoft adaptors]

From: <kurtbrendgard@icqmail.com>
Date: Fri Jul 02 2004 - 21:28:53 AKDT

just out of curiousity, id like to set something like
this up and play with it. any good reading/how to out
there on this? i could prob do it without one but then
im basicaly lazy, why reinvent the wheel if ya dont
have to, and i might miss learning something that
somebody has already figured out. also, what
software/distro do you recomend doing it with, and any
do you really strongly not recomend?

                    kurt

> The only way to really do this right is to set up a
machine between
the
> network where the access point is and the AP itself,
like so:

-------- ------------------ -------------

--------

| net- | ---- | middleman machine | --- | wireless AP
| *** |
client |
-------------
--------

> --------
>
> (where a --- is a wire, and *** is a wireless
connection)

> and have the middleman allow VPN connections through
to the network,
and
> drop everything else. Then, teach every laptop you
want to allow how
> hook into the VPN (best to do this with a user /
group setup on the
> middleman, so that you can log in as 'me' instead of
'this computer')

> Then everything that gets transmitted wirelessly is
already encrypted
by
> a encryption protocol that Doesn't Suck (tm) and your
wired network
is