Re: What's Up Gold?

From: W.D.McKinney <deem@wdm.com>
Date: Tue Jun 29 2004 - 17:45:39 AKDT

 one Windows box. Anyway, it sounded like good software and I thought I =
could monitor my Smootwall firewall, my router, my wireless router, my ap=
ple computer, and my two linux boxes. Well, I found out in the process t=
hat it only works on a windows network and that it uses SNMP for discover=
y.

SNMP is what you need and typically the cheap DSL/Cable modem devices do =
come with such software.

Linux and other OS's have the ability and we run Cacti to monitor all por=
ts on our router, switch, servers and also monitor CPU, processes, RAM us=
age, etc.

You will need to go on a learning curve as this is termed "sys admin" wor=
k.
See http://www.raxnet.net/products/cacti/

Cheers,
Dee

>Two questions... Is there anything that is GUI based for Linux and/or W=
indows that will map my network? And, I have a very small understanding =
of SNMP with my experience with Cisco routers. So, when I tried to disco=
ver my network it asked for my SNMP root device. If I had a Cisco router=
 I would be good but I don't so what would my SNMP root device be? Can s=
mall routers like Linksys and D-link function as a SNMP device, what abou=
t my Smoothwall? Do I need a DNS server on my network? I guess that is =
more than two questions :)