What's Up Gold?

From: Wesley Brown <webtacsat@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Jun 29 2004 - 17:11:25 AKDT

I have a question that stems from my attempt to try What's Up Gold on my one Windows box. Anyway, it sounded like good software and I thought I could monitor my Smootwall firewall, my router, my wireless router, my apple computer, and my two linux boxes. Well, I found out in the process that it only works on a windows network and that it uses SNMP for discovery.

Two questions... Is there anything that is GUI based for Linux and/or Windows that will map my network? And, I have a very small understanding of SNMP with my experience with Cisco routers. So, when I tried to discover my network it asked for my SNMP root device. If I had a Cisco router I would be good but I don't so what would my SNMP root device be? Can small routers like Linksys and D-link function as a SNMP device, what about my Smoothwall? Do I need a DNS server on my network? I guess that is more than two questions :)

Wesley Brown