Re: Orinoco cards (was: Office Max $19 Microsoft adaptors)

From: Wesley Brown <webtacsat@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Jun 29 2004 - 10:23:17 AKDT

FYI on the orinoco a/b/g cards... there is no external antenna jack because FCC regulations prohibit amplifiing 802.11a signals peyond a specific threshold (not sure what that is). I guess because you can amplifiy a signal with an external antenna to whatever the capabilities of your antenna is the best thing to do was to drop the jack.

Wesley Brown
Lee <lee@fabco.com> wrote:
just a note on the 'orinoco' a/b/g cards (from Proxim, at least). I
splurged and got a Proxim 8480 a/b/g PCMCIA card a few weeks ago. My
advice is to wait a while:

1. One of the reason to get orinoco cards in the past was the external
antenna jack. the new cards don't have them. (probably justified
because of the dual frequency bands. Tho I think that's kinda lame)

2. Being new-ish, the drivers are still on the immature side, tho it
looks like they are under active development.

The no ext antenna thing is the dealkiller for me. I'm going to send it
back.

On Sat, 2004-06-26 at 18:48, aklug@aklug.org wrote:

> Risked the $19. The one I got has the Linux friendly Orinoco chip set.
>Might want to get em fast. They are all the way to the right on the
>discount table in the front of the store!

To unsubscribe, send email to