Re: site hosting

From: Jamie Hushower <hushower@alaska-geeks.com>
Date: Sun Jun 06 2004 - 11:19:05 AKDT

I am likewise disappointed with local options (primarily cost). If I
recall correctly, ACS hosting is $20 for the DNS and $10 for the static
IP per month. Though I am somewhat disappointed in the speed and
flexibility, I could not be happier than the $5.99 per month I pay
Netfirms. While I wouldn't recommend them for just the reasons I
mentioned, I am sure there are a good number of hosting companies
offering service for similar prices. I do what you had indicated - I use
dnydns pointing to my home server for any specialized CGI or PHP that I
cannot run on Netfirms' servers. Seamless and flexible enough for a
small company's first presence on the Web. Good luck.

-Jamie

Zach Parish wrote:
> I'm looking at setting up a local (small) company with a web presence. After
> just viewing the hosting packages that either ACS Alaska or GCI offer I have
> a horrible taste in my mouth. Horrible IMHO.
> I think I'd rather dyndns and point them to my local slackware server.
> Apache/PHP/companyname.dyndns.org/sky is the limit...
>
> I dont think I could charge them to make a small site and have it hosted on
> ACS's or GCI's IIS Virtual Servers...just dont think I'd be able to sleep at
> night...
>
> Any thoughts/comments???
>
> Zach

Jamie Hushower