Re: Program??

From: <captgoodnight@acsalaska.net>
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 17:39:41 AKDT

> > Does anybody know of a program for Linux that will clean up junk/temp
> > files?

A.) look into writing your own solution, this path will teach you the most about linux. Use the find command
in a script, drop it into cron.
B.) man tmpwatch

> > I would also like to be able
> > to uninstall programs, too.
> > Trying to get a grip on system/file maintenance as I am going to
> > purchase SUSE 9.1 Pro, and will be getting rid of Windows.
> > I have downloaded and installed a few different programs for SUSE, but
> > some of them won't run. No dependency problems or anything like that,
> > just won't run. I followed all read me files but still no go. The latest
> > non running program is Povray. I downloaded the SUSE 9.0 RPM and it
> > won't run. I am at a loss on what to do. I followed all the
> > instructions, but nothing.
> > That is why I would like to be able to uninstall programs. I have no
> > idea how to accomplish this. :-)

Absolutely learn all you can about rpm. Use yast in the meantime, just understand that yast works with rpm (i think?)
and in my past, yast couldn't be COMPLETELY trusted. It's best to KNOW the rpm command. Take this idea with all frontend gui
progs, always at least strive to know the backend first while using the gui.

bests, good luck,
eddie

cragalaska.com