Re: cdrecord question

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net>
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 12:47:32 AKDT

Right! It finally dawned on me that I was making an audio style cd with
more than one track. It is clear that tracks are not the same as
partitions.

To get a proper data image, I started with Greg's incantation. I went to
the man page and found each of the options. I determined I would need
the Rock Ridge extensions, but instead of using -R I used -r to ensure
the resulting cd-rom could be read by windows or any unice machine. I
couldn't find anything on the "joliet-long" option, so I left it out.

The key was the -graft-points option. It took me two tries (the first
guess was wrong ;-)}}} to get the syntax correct. After the successful
completion, I mounted the file as a cd-drive at /cdrom2. I was quite
delighted with the result.

Burning the cd was straight forward with only the one image. I then
wiped out Windows ME, set up partitions, restored ME from the OEM cd's,
and then installed a basic Debian/Gnu/Linux Woody (v3.0r1). I have some
more setup to do to get the mouse working. I will be trying WINE for the
first time so the owner can run the one Windows application (Bagpipe
Player - http://www.bagpipeplayer.com) not yet available as a Linux port.

Thanks every one for the help. fgd

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 02:50:54PM -0700, Mac Mason wrote:
> My understanding is that the short answer is "no". A .iso file is an image of
> an entire CD; you create the complete CD as an image, and then burn the thing
> in one shot.
>
> --Mac

SNIP!
> --
> Julian "Mac" Mason jmason@cs.hmc.edu
> Computer Science '06 (909)-607-9691
> Harvey Mudd College
> ---------

By the by, where is HMC?

--
Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        .-.   Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska   /v\   "Woody" v3.0r1