event notifications?

From: Thomison, Lee <ThomisonL@ci.anchorage.ak.us>
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 10:32:23 AKDT

Is there an easy way that I can, from a shell prompt on my linux box,
send a message to a machine, and have that message pop up on the screen
no matter who's logged onto the screen, what screen it is, or even if
anyone is logged into it? Ideally this would be work for linux, solaris
or W2000 receiving boxes.

I've had a look at winpopup/linpopup/smbclient, but it seems to target
usernames, rather than just machinenames, that is, if myusername on BOXB
sends a message to BOXA, if myusername isn't logged in on BOXA, the
message delivery fails.

Thanks in advance.