RE: test

From: Zach Parish <messiah@acsalaska.net>
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 22:59:36 AKDT

I've had pretty good service w/ the ACS DSL service overall, however, I did
have a problem with my linksys firewall/vpn router after they made some
changes upstream. Initially I had my dsl router working in bridge mode so
that it forwarded all traffic to my linksys firewall/vpn(which actually made
the PPOE connection). This way I could filter traffic on my linksys
device(which I trust much more than the default dsl router ACS gives you)
without having traffic first natted through my dsl router, and then natted
again through my linksys device. However, even after a firmware upgrade to
my linksys device I could not manually enter a custom MTU variable setting.
Turns out that ACS uses a non industry standard MTU setting so I could not
establish a PPoE connection via my Linksys device. According to whomever I
talked to on the phone they will not change this setting due to the fact
that it would be too much of a 'major undertaking'. Dunno if anyone uses the
Distributed DNS application on any supported Linksys device, but because the
traffic is already natted to an internal address, the DDNS service fails to
update my DNS hostname with the correct IP. Easily fixable...I just added a
crontab entry to use the webbased ip detector that dyn-dns.org uses.
Anyway to make a long story short I didn't get my way and had to reconfigure
the speedtouch device to establish the PPOE connection AND nat my traffic
prior to it hitting my linksys VPN/firewall. Not really a big issue but it
might save you some time if you had planned a similar configuration...Anyone
else notice this?

Zach Parish