RE: test

From: Leif Sawyer <lsawyer@gci.com>
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 11:15:28 AKDT

Adam Bultman writes:
> Ok, I'm going to respond with a few questions.
>
> I'm going to be moving to Anchorage in mid July or late August, and
> since I work from home (but not 'for myself') I need decent
> connectivity.
>
> 1) Is there one provider that is better than another?
> 2) What kind of uptime will I be getting when I go up there?
> 3) Will my connetion go 'down' at times in the winter, etc?

1) ACS and GCI are the major providors in the Anchorage metro area.
    * With ACS, you can get dial, DSL, and dedicated line.
      ACS's DSL uses PPPoE, last I heard, so there may be some issues
      with that, depending on your requirements. Usually not a show
      stopper as there are ways to deal with this for most every OS

    * With GCI, you can get dial, DSL, cable, and dedicated line.
      All options are 'live on the internet', no extra requirements.

    I'll suggest a firewall right now. No matter what option.

    Your best bet, if you want to guarantee connectivity, is to
    have multiple connectivity options. Get a DSL and a cable
    connection. With some of GCI's bundles, there is a free dialup
    option as well, which gives you three options.

2) Uptimes vary. Unless some fool backs his garbage truck into
    a utility pole and breaks the line, or a different fool cuts the
    fiber with his backhoe or shovel, you're probably looking at
    about 99% availability.

3) As in #2, but also depending on the area of town that you are in
    and the quality of the facilities that terminate your circuit.

I've got DSL and cable at my house, and have never had a complete
and utter outage. Nor any weather related outages.

Hope this helps a little.

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s