Printing with kdeprint

From: dhull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Sun Apr 25 2004 - 08:24:47 AKDT

Printing has been one of those black arts I've never been able to figure out. Well, today I discovered “kdeprint” and I am in printing heaven. Using kdeprint I can now print from any application to any printer.

Here's what I've got.

1.Slack 9.1
2.KDE
3.CUPS (I think its 1.1.19 or something)
4.HP LaserJet 4si

Lets use Mozilla as an example. Normally I have “lpr” in the print command. I change that to “kdeprint” and we are done. When I print Mozilla will send the print job to “kdeprint” and a new print window will pop up with all the different print options. I can select which printer I want to print to and even what paper tray etc...

What's nice about this setup is that I'm using the Internet Printing Protocol or IPP to send the job to the printer. This could allow one to print to my printer over the net. You can change this to lpr etc...

Now all I need to do is fix the bottom paper tray and I'm all set.