Re: Spam/Virus Issues

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Thu Apr 22 2004 - 08:32:42 AKDT

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Matthew Schumacher wrote:

> Performance isn't bad, but you do need more server to start doing a lot
> of filtering. A good dual cpu box with 2 gigs of memory can handle a
> bit of email, but this setup is far better suited for small mail systems
> than large ISP's.

You'd be surprised how much you can do with little hardware. My server is
resource poor (primarily because 90% of my hardware on-hand only works with
one @#($*& proprietary platform -- but I'm not giving up my SGIs ;-) and still
works like a champ. I've got over 3,000 accounts (primarily because of the
free webmail service I manage) on a 2 processor 550MHz *Celeron* (yes, you
read that right. The Abit BP6: the only board specifically designed to allow
you to SMP Celerons out of the box) with a meager 256MB of RAM. And my system
load is fairly low running Sendmail and a variety of milters (snert.com has
some excellent light-weight but effective milters). *And* Apache with
OpenWebmail, ftp, etc.

Of course, I have taken advantage of sendmail's connection rate throttling and
load level monitoring to prevent it from overwhelming the box.

<sniff> Someday my box will have 2GB of RAM, but my truck needs a new rocker
panel... ;-)

        --Arthur Corliss