Re: Spam/Virus Issues

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Wed Apr 21 2004 - 22:07:16 AKDT

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Jason Jeremias wrote:

> I can also vouch for the Barracuda. Yes I could have created the same
> box (its just a linux box running SpamAssassin, Postfix, and ClamAV) but
> for the cost it was easier and cheaper to purchase a Barracuda. I
> implemented a Spam Firewall 400 on the Unicom internet service. So far
> users response has been very positive. You can see the stats here:
> http://www.unicom-alaska.com/spamstats.html
>
> -Jason

<G> At $4,000 I'm not sure I agree. Even at $200/hr that would give me twenty
hours to figure out how to configure Sendmail with SpamAssassin and ClamAV as
milters, plus several other protections on existing hardware. Even without
seeing the interface I'd have to bet I have more low-level control and
flexibility than the Barracuda provides.

I'm sure there's a market for it, but in my case that's too steep a price. Of
course, I'm probably the cheapest person on the list. I don't have the time
to work on my truck like I should but I'll be damned if I take it to a
mechanic, either. ;-)

        --Arthur Corliss