Re: Spam & GCI

From: Matthew Schumacher <schu@schu.net>
Date: Wed Apr 21 2004 - 12:34:23 AKDT

Jim Dory wrote:

> I tried sending a mail to someone (xxx'd out) in Fairbanks and got this:
>
> Recipient address: xxx@govcomputersales.com
> Reason: Remote SMTP server has rejected address
> Diagnostic code: smtp;550 mail from 208.138.130.80 rejected: administrative prohibition (host is blacklisted)
>
> http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblock&ip=208.138.130.80
>
> I've been looking at GCI's three servers .77, .80, and .81 and on the
> spamcop site periodically reports one or the other is listed, then not.
>
> I've got my server access file whitelisted for these three now, and I
> don't believe it is us blocking anymore. It appears to be GCI system
> wide? Nothing I can/should do?
>
> cheers, Jim

Jim,

When you whitelisted gci you allowed incoming mail from those hosts to
your mail server. It seems that the mail system at govcomputersales.com
is blocking you because they use spamcop and have not whitelisted GCI's
servers. The work around would be for you to relay your mail off of
your own mail server instead of GCI's mail servers.

Add this to your /etc/mail/access file then rebuild the access db:

192.168.1 RELAY

But replace 192.168.1 for the first 3 octets of your local network.
Once you do that you will be allowed to relay off of your local sendmail
server so set your mail clients smtp host to the hostname or ip of your
sendmail server. After that you won't be using GCI's mail service anymore.

schu