Re: NFS vs. SMB

From: volz <volz@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu>
Date: Wed Apr 21 2004 - 10:55:20 AKDT

>Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 09:56:35 -0800
>From: Jamie Hushower <hushower@alaska-geeks.com>
>To: Aklug <aklug@aklug.org>
>Subject: NFS vs. SMB
>
>I have frequently used SMB (Samba) for Linux to Linux transfer because
>it was already setup for Windows access to those servers and the
>transfers were of less than 20MB. I am investigating copying ~200GB of
>data periodically and am testing an NFS connection. Initially, things
>appear to be moving much faster than with SMB. Any evidence, anecdotal
>or otherwise, that indicates how much faster NFS is?
>
>-Jamie

http://nlug.org/mail/nlug__2003_03/0144.html

Direct experience is a special case. Our experience with samba is limited to
samba clients and a windows NAS. An uncommon setup. I think we are still
pondering why we ever bought a windows file server.

Linux client to linux server nfs is faster than linux client to windows server
smb.

- Karl Volz

Research Associate
Alaska Experimental Forecast Facility