Re: Proftpd users

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 12:57:29 AKDT

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, Joshua Kugler wrote:

> Really? I just tried it on my box, and it worked fine. Hostname if it could,
> IP if it couldn't.
>
> [root@deuel /home/joshua]# proftpd -v
> - ProFTPD Version 1.2.8
> [root@deuel /home/joshua]#
>
> This is on Mandrake 9.1.
>
> j----- k-----

It occurs to me that you're probably looking at the wrong field. Keep in mind
that there is a host field, and an IP field. As seen in
/usr/include/bits/utmp.h:

  struct utmp
  {
     char ut_host[UT_HOSTSIZE]; /* Hostname for remote login. */
    int32_t ut_addr_v6[4]; /* Internet address of remote host. */
  };
  #define ut_addr ut_addr_v6[0]

Keep in mind that by default, yes, proftpd *will* put an IP into the ut_host
field if the IP is not resolvable. However, it should always log the IP in
the ut_addr/ut_addr_v6 field regardless or not the IP is resolvable.

Based on your comments above I'd wager you're just looking at the output of
"last" rather than "last -i".

        --Arthur Corliss