RE: Distro question

From: Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net>
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 17:44:02 AKDT

On Mon, 2004-04-12 at 14:59, Stephen King wrote:
> In truth, as both a network design consultant and a professional
> educator, I figure that once I'm done with a client, if they never
> *need* to call me again, it's a Job Well Done. My goal isn't to rope
> them into an ongoing support relationship; it's to set them up so they
> can manage it themselves from then on out. Y'all are gonna hate me for
> saying this, but if it takes a proprietary product to meet that goal,
> then that's what I recommend. If the customer wants me to run their
> network for them and take on management on a regular basis, I'll discuss
> that, but if the customer, as these do, want autonomy over a small
> network then that's what I try to give them.
>
> Now, I already knew that folks on the list had their "favorite" flavor.
> So...it appears that nobody out there has actual experience with
> Xandros...true?
> Stephen King
> Instructor, Information Technology
> Charter College
> 2221 E. Northern Lights Suite 120
> Anchorage, AK 99508
> (907) 777-1370

Xandros is the old, updated Corel Linux Code. It is probably the easiest
install, a couple of clicks if you want to give it your hard drive.
Xandros was designed to drop into a Windows network & just work,
networking, samba, the deluxe version comes with Code Weavers wine for
running MS Office apps. It is based o Debain Testing so you have
additional packages there to use but Xandros enhanced KDE to fit its
needs. A nice piece of work really, there will be incompatibilities with
regualr KDE though.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.