RE: Distro question

From: Tim Jordan <timothy_jordan@labor.state.ak.us>
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 14:11:30 AKDT

On Mon, 2004-04-12 at 14:59, Stephen King wrote:
Stephen,
> In truth, as both a network design consultant and a professional
> educator, I figure that once I'm done with a client, if they never
> *need* to call me again, it's a Job Well Done. My goal isn't to rope
> them into an ongoing support relationship; it's to set them up so they
> can manage it themselves from then on out.

I can understand your position; although, I come from a different
perspective. I think if your going to offer Linux as a viable solution
you need to be offering a support service. I can't see setting a small
business (say 10 pc's or less) up on a Linux infrastructure and then not
get "called back". I'm not sure if your doing yourself a favor
recommending Linux with your philosophy. Especially for someone who is
considering "switching over". Most users have a hard enough time
getting Windows to work the way they want. I know Windows support calls
are better than 90% of my business.

> Y'all are gonna hate me for
> saying this, but if it takes a proprietary product to meet that goal,
> then that's what I recommend.

No Hate....