Re: oh no!!!! help!!!!

From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@zuelow.net>
Date: Wed Apr 07 2004 - 17:13:18 AKDT

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 08:52:55 -0800
"Scott Johnson" <scott@akghetto.com> wrote:

> just waiting to be scanned by DSPAM? System logs show Postfix
> reporting success in piping all these messages into DSPAM, so they're
> not in a Postfix queue...... am I SOL? Anyone? Ideas???? This is the
> one part of linux that really gets me sometimes.......

Hmm. I use amavis instead of DSPAM, and amavis uses SMTP to talk to Postfix. If DSPAM is similar and your first Postfix instance said that it successfully passed the mail on to DSPAM, then the mail is probably gone for good. However, I don't see how it could actually do that via SMTP _after_ the DSPAM executable was overwritten with a 0 byte file.

Postfix might be just dumping the messages into a directory for DSPAM to find later. If it is just dumping them, then your mail is probably still there. Does DSPAM maintain it's own queue somewhere in the file system, like /var/spool/DSPAM/ that your messages might be living in?

What does `postqueue -p` return on your mail server? (I'm assuming it will say the queue is empty since you said the messages aren't in the postfix queue, but it might be worth a shot.)

Cheers,

James