RE: building openldap on debian

Subject: RE: building openldap on debian
From: Jon Reynolds (jonr@destar.net)
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 02:18:38 AKST

-----Original Message-----
From: aklug-bounce@aklug.org [mailto:aklug-bounce@aklug.org]On Behalf Of
Tim Jordan
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 10:32 AM
To: andy@firman.us; aklug@aklug.org

I will post my notes if the group doesn't mind. In fact I mean to
migrate an existing AD domain over to ldap then set Samba as the PDC.

The State is currently reviewing technologies which will be set as
"standards" through out the State. Currently they are debating Novel
-vs- Microsoft for File & Print Services. I forwarded the Migration
Guide to one of the members of the Enterprise Management Group in hopes
that Samba/LDAP will be included in thier discussions.

It would be really nice if I could say " Take a look at what Samba &
LDAP can really do for the State of Alaska!" I know it's a long shot
but you never know.....after all isn't this the time for the State to
cut spending?

TJ

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 10:13, andy@firman.us wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 09:40:14AM -0900, Tim Jordan wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to locate a good "how to" for this project. I'm currently
> > working off:
> >
> > http://homex.subnet.at/~max/ldap/#install-openldap and several links
> > of this page.
> >
> > I'm running into problems getting the slapd to run. I have also been
> > reviewing the openldap web site.
> >
> > Can anyone advise from personal experience ( I can google :)) about how
> > they approached learning ldap? Anyone on the list currently supporting
> > Samba w/a LDAP backend?
> >
> > Thanks aklug!
> > Tim
>
> I immediately thought of the aphroland.de/HOWTO page. But I see your
> link points directly to that one so there you go!
>
> LDAP is on my list of things to learn.
>
> If you don't mind...take good notes and post back here as
> I would love to read about your experience.
>
> Andy
>

> ---------

All,

If you guys would like to show up at the Friday night meeting in Muldoon I
have a lab of 20 450MHz 128MB of RAM machines that I have an image for that
we could use as a test bed. I also have an excellent O'Reilly LDAP book that
could walk us through all of the setup. With the cumulative knowledge of the
AKLUG group we could be stumped in 10 minutes. :) j/k But seriously, there
are a lot of us that would like to do this exact same thing. I have setup
LDAP as an address book but have been wanting to do just what you are
thinking. We could document as we go along and also have something for Tim
to show the state. Let me know if this sounds like a good idea and I will
make a Linux image to put on the systems so we can just get started without
having to install the OS.

Jon