Re: rsync and RSA Authentication

Subject: Re: rsync and RSA Authentication
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 10:06:14 AKST

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, KSchneider wrote:

> Hey guys --
>
> Does anyone have a good reference for learning about and implementing
> security keys for automatic transfer from one server to another (a back-up
> solution I'm still trying to get in place).
>
> I want to use rsync and am looking for good documentation on it using RSA.

By default now rsync uses ssh, so you probably have everything you need
already in place on your servers. What you'll need to do is create ssh
keys, and ensure that root can login directly via ssh (this is set in the
sshd_config file).

Some Google searches should turn up some good information on creating and
managing ssh keys, but here's one example that seems pretty good:

http://www.arches.uga.edu/~pkeck/ssh/

Mike