Re: duplicate rpms

Subject: Re: duplicate rpms
captgoodnight@acsalaska.net
Date: Sun Feb 08 2004 - 23:00:40 AKST

How many rpms and how many files are we talking? This will be fun without rpm
or apt.

thinking-

First use the older rpms for path/file listing then write a script than runs
through the list and removes the files on auto or with the press of the enter
key. It will take a little time, but it will work. If it's alot of files and
packages, the tough part is adding the path/files to a list. Also use the new
rpms for the same purpose, make a list, then diff/uniq the two to find
matches=overwrites. Test/confirm the matches=overwrites to see if the
programs work, thus ignore the overwrites and remove the left over stale old
files. Some how MAKE SURE the thought to be stale files are indeed stale and
not needed. Hmmm, make those lists, confirm those lists, work those lists.
Oh yeah, if you use tripwire, some of the reports will be of some value.

Oh, I see the code already ;))

bests,
eddie

--
ICQ# 294477332
Where ravens sleep

On Sunday 08 February 2004 10:18 pm, Barsalou wrote: > No I didn't only use apt....which is the problem. I was hoping that I > could somehow configure apt to nicely remove the "older" rpms. They > aren't exact duplicates....I have older versions and newer versions > loaded together. Kinda like what you might do with the kernel. Things > are working OK, but I would like to clean it up... > > Any ideas? > > Mike