RE: fdisk C/H/S IDE drive question

Subject: RE: fdisk C/H/S IDE drive question
From: Jim Gribbin (jgribbin@alaska.net)
Date: Sun Feb 08 2004 - 00:35:02 AKST

I've never seen this myself, but I haven't tried putting the same drive on
different controllers and checking out how they're reported.

My guess would be that something in the startup scripts is setting up the
controllers slightly different and this is causing the difference in the
reporting.

The distro is probably assuming that you are probably going to have hard
drives on the primary disk controller and cdroms and such on the secondary
controller and has things setup according to some default scheme.

I would poke around the controller with hdparm and see what's what, you
probably want to tweak things a little anyway.

hdparm -i /dev/hd[x]
and
hdparm -I /dev/hd[x]

Jim Gribbin