Samba printers

Subject: Samba printers
From: volz (volz@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 03 2004 - 10:02:06 AKST

I have a whole bunch of questions on samba printers:

1.) What exactly is a "samba printer"? Does that mean a windows 'shared'
printer?

2.) Does the printer have to be linux supported? Where is the driver?

3.) How does samba get involved? Do you run linux samba client? Or is it handled
through the printconf ui? I notice that there is a queue type "SMB" on my Redhat
workstation running printconf-gui, I am assuming that my system has been setup
to support windows networked printers by the anaconda.

I don't have any window printer shares here in the office, so I don't have a way
to test this printconf/smb deal, but it sounds like a good thing to be able to
do on the laptop.

- Karl Volz

volz@aeff.uaa.alaska.edu