Re: Apache and virtual hosts

Subject: Re: Apache and virtual hosts
From: Wesley Brown (webtacsat@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jan 31 2004 - 12:43:32 AKST

Sorry about the lack of info. I knew when I was writing it that I was missing something but I was so confused by my own troubleshooting over the night. Anyway your assumptions are correct and I do believe your suggestion about the not using a ServerName in the Main configuration might be my solution.

I will try it tonight and let you know.

Wesley Brown

James Zuelow <e5z8652@zuelow.net> wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 20:29:57 -0800 (PST)
Wesley Brown wrote:

I believe that I set up my virtual hosts correctly by following documentation on the apache website. But for some reason it isn't working. It seems that the requests for both domain names are just returning the main server configuration information.

> Any hints, please?

Not a lot of info, so I'll make some guesses for you. Name or IP based virtual hosts? Most home users have one IP, so use name based hosts. For Name based hosts, if you ask for an "unknown" host you'll get the first one. So a small typo somewhere can make a virtual host invisible. Try not putting a ServerName declaration in the main section of your httpd.conf file. Make a virtual host declaration for each domain you're hosting, including the main one.

For name based:
in httpd config: "NameVirtualHost *" has a star and not an IP address?
in each virtual host definition: "" on top line?
in each virtual host definition: "ServerName My2ndDomain.net" doesn't have a typo?

Hope this helps,

James
---------
To unsubscribe, send email to