Fetchmail & SMTP port specification

Subject: Fetchmail & SMTP port specification
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 08:47:29 AKST

Does anyone have a current fetchmail setup that is using a non-standard
SMTP port?

Currently, I have fetchmail retrieving my GCI mail and passing it off to
Postfix on port 25. Postfix then does header checks, amavis/spamassasin
as if it were normal mail.

If the message fails a header check, postfix is set to REJECT the message
and bounce it. No problem for normal incoming SMTP mail, but I want to
DISCARD mail that I get from GCI that fails header checks. So I set up a
listener on localhost 10035 that uses different header checks, with REJECT
replaced with DISCARD.

According to the fetchmail man page, you can specify an smtp host with an
alternate port with the following syntax:

hostname/port

so in my case, the .fetchmailrc entry would be

smtp localhost/10035

however when I try this, mail is bounced by Postfix when fetchmail
attempts delivery to "james@localhost/10035". Postfix sees this and
rightly rejects it as having bad address syntax. I've tried using the
FQDN and IP address, and fetchmail continues to just append the slash port
number to the hostname instead of actually using the port. Specifying an
smtpuser entry of james@localhost doesn't help - fetchmail still appends
the slash port number.

Ideas?

Cheers,