RE: GCI and martian packets

Subject: RE: GCI and martian packets
From: Christopher Erickson (cerickson@gci.net)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 20:11:50 AKST

If you are talking about the COM21 cable modem network, the martian
broadcast packets are coming directly from other cable modems on the
same head end controller and before they pass through any switch or
router.

Unfortunately the COM21 head end controllers don't have an extensive
set of integrated traffic filters. We have the option to kill all
inter-modem traffic but that would probably create more howling than
the martian packets do.

-Christopher Erickson