Re: File base respository for apt

Subject: Re: File base respository for apt
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 07:50:33 AKST

On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 23:58, Barsalou wrote:

> Has anyone set up a file based repository for apt yet? It seems
> possible, and I have tried the howto without much success. I am missing
> something important, but can't figure out what.
>
> Mike
> --
> Barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>

In Debian you use a 'file' URI instead of an 'http or ftp' URI. you also
need a Packages.gz file in the top level of the file directory. There is
a tool for generating the Packages.gz file, can't remember off the top
of my head.

i.e.
deb file:// to apt repsository>

Check Debian for more specifics or Connectiva, Connectiva did the RPM
port of APT. Progeny is aslo doing work on APT for RPM, Progey also is
supporting older versions RedHat, 7.x-9.x

I use Apache to serve up locally here.

hth,