RE: Cable Modem

Subject: RE: Cable Modem
From: Leif Sawyer (lsawyer@gci.com)
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 08:06:04 AKST

Tom Remaklus and J. Dintzer both wrote:
> I noticed a slowdown yesterday evening for several hours.
> Anyone notice an extreme slowdown in the cable modem system
> last couple of days?

There have been some issues with the local DNS servers due to
a huge increase in load on them. We've implemented additional
caching, and tuning of the caches. As of about 10pm last night
you should see a much snappier performance.

And stop sending so much spam! Talk about a load on the DNS servers!

heh. :-)

One of the things you can do when reporting issues like this
is turn up a copy of Ethereal. then snoop for port 53 (dns)
and port 80 (http). Bring up a web page that you may not
have visited in a while (like windowsupdate, or something else ironic)
and see how long it takes each portion of the connection setup
to take. This is always very insightful since you can now determine
which (if any) service is the culprit, or if the network is really
just congested (majority of packets seem to have the same delay)

Leif

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s