Beige G-3 All-in-one 2.4.18 dark screen

Subject: Beige G-3 All-in-one 2.4.18 dark screen
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Thu Nov 20 2003 - 21:29:55 AKST

Hello,

Anyone on the list familiar with Linux on old-world Macs?

I recently set up Debian 3.0 on a G3 All-in-one (the "Molar"). When I was doing the basic install and configuration, I was using the default 2.2.20 kernel. I set up X with the 2.2 kernel and both text consoles and the X display were bright and normal.

As soon as I got open firmware configured and quik reliably booting the machine, I installed the latest 2.4.18-powerpc kernel from Debian. Both the text consoles and the X display were suddenly very dark, almost unreadable. I tried the 2.4.18-newpmac image with the same results. When I boot to 2.2.20, everything is fine.

I've got a temporary workaround by setting a high gamma value in XF86Config-4, but the colors are all washed out when I try that, and it still isn't very bright.

The All-in-one doesn't appear to have any external brightness controls that I can use, so everything is done with software.

Ideas?

Cheers,

James