Re: adding a hard drive

Subject: Re: adding a hard drive
From: Mac Mason (macmasta@ak.net)
Date: Wed Nov 19 2003 - 12:06:13 AKST

> package and installed some from source, it broke apt because apt was
> unaware of the additional installations of software. (If I understood).

Um...apt (and emerge, ports, rpm, everything) can only manage the
packages it has installed; if you install outside the package management
system, the software will work just fine, but (apt, emerge, etc) won't
be able to do any of it for you.

If somebody managed to explode apt by installing an unrelated piece of
software from source, they did something really dumb.

~Mac~