Re: Redhat Changes (corporate partners)

Subject: Re: Redhat Changes (corporate partners)
From: Joshua Kugler (jk@as.uaf.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 15:14:08 AKST

On Monday 03 November 2003 10:34 am, volz wrote:
> I would hate to see Redhat get so in bed with any manufacturer that the
> hardware becomes tied to the OS (A situation we have with one system here),
> but it is not farfetched. A situation where installing another operating
> system besides the factory OS invalidates all warranties on the system is a
> common enough scenario. Lunix by Redhat, a distinct branch from core linux.

This is true, BUT if they modified the kernel to work on that hardware, they
would at least have to release the source. The only thing that would get on
shaky ground is if they wrote they own drivers, from the ground up. And if
they want to do that, well, there's nothing stopping anyone from doing that.
For example, binary-only Nvidia drivers.

--
Joshua Kugler
Assistant Systems Administrator