Cd Catalog

Subject: Cd Catalog
From: James Dory (jdory@gci.net)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 10:03:14 AKST

I'm trying to use Suse 8.2 as a desktop and get away from Win98. I'm
dual booting right now because there are a few apps I choose not to
leave behind... autocad, cool edit, and orangecd - a music cd catalog
software that connects with freedb.org, as well as a few other programs.
If I could get my soundcard working under KDE, I would leave Cool Edit
in the dust.

I've got Crossover Office installed and now I can use Photoshop and
Quicken, as well as Dreamweaver though I haven't gotten my favorite html
editer Homesite working on it. Autocad installs on the latest CO but
doesn't yet work.. seems like they're getting close.

I'm following the distribution (Redhat) thread with interest as I'm not
having the best luck with Suse 8.2. I've got a new motherboard that
doesn't seem like 8.2 was quite caught up to. Maybe 9. Plus the alsa
drivers optimization with it... maybe I could get that Delta 66
soundcard working.

Anyway, I've spent the last couple evenings working intently on trying
to get gmmusic working. Never would have attempted it if I knew what it
entailed. But now I feel like I'm invested and need to follow through.
Most importantly, I haven't found any other software with similar
capabilities: catalogue your CD/record collection through Freedb.org. Is
there another? Installing was dependency hell. First, you needed mmusic
installed, you needed some perl stuff, some mail:tools, some various
postgresql packages. I installed some from rpmseek, but the others
wouldn't see the ones I installed so would abort. Then I discovered
installing downloaded packages through Yast, and it set up all the
linker files, etc. So it is finally all installed. Then I find you
pretty much have to know some postgresql, which I knew/know nothing. So
more learning curve.

Question I guess is this: anyone using gmmusic or anything simlar?
Wondering if there are alternatives. I suppose I could search for other
Windows cataloging software and attempt to install it through Crossover
Office. But most want money, and I've already paid for that OrangeCd, a
few years ago. They have stated no interest in porting to linux.

cheers, JD