Re: off-sites backups

Subject: Re: off-sites backups
From: Alan Heckart (alan@bcialaska.com)
Date: Sun Oct 19 2003 - 16:29:30 AKDT

Chris,

We currently us two methods of off-site backup. We have a cumulative
backup via RSYNC running to an off-site server every night for
catastrophic events. We also run a similar RYSNC, and "cp -al",
combination during the week allowing for depth in our back up, this also
makes the history available to the users. The on-site is burned to DVD
weekly, with every EOM headed to the safety deposit box. (The files are
archived and compressed via .tar.gz ready for quick re-deployment if we
should need to use them.) Everything is automated with cron jobs except
the DVD burn, and driving to the bank....

We are currently using 1 RH9 file server, 1800Athlon, 256 ram, 160gig
hd. 1RH9 PDC(samba,LTSP), 1800 Athlon, 1gig ram, 80gig hd. and a RH9
backup server, 1200 Duron, 256ram, 160Gig hd.(This is matched by the off
site rsync machine with an 80 gig drive) Our network supports 20
stations, all windows 2000 clients. We do not have an official IT staff.

Hope that helps,

AH