Re: browsing root's files in Konqueror as user

Subject: Re: browsing root's files in Konqueror as user
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Sun Oct 19 2003 - 11:27:42 AKDT

On Sun, 2003-10-19 at 10:42, Jim Dory wrote:

> Here's a basic question -
>
> I've googled but not sure how to get the right keywords 'cause I haven't
> found the answer yet. I would like to be able to look at log files and
> such when logged in as a regular user by browsing with something like
> konqueror.
>
> I know about the shell and su'ing to root and reading them via command
> line, and I know about midnight commander as a file manager, but the
> convenience of konqueror seems right for some occasions. I know you can
> start konqueror from the shell command line just by typing its name (in
> Suse 8.2 anyway), but when I su to root and try it I get an error
> "cannot connect to X server".
>
> I'm sure there is something simple?
>
> cheers, JD

The user that started X is the only user being allowed to open an app
that requires X. When you 'su' to a different user that user does not
have rights to run an app on X. The app that controls access to X is
'xhost'(man xhost). To allow root & others to run an X app I do 'xhost
+root:local' I do this on my home network , not sure it is a good way to
run elsewhere.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.