Re: ipcop

Subject: Re: ipcop
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net )
Date: Sat Oct 18 2003 - 17:35:37 AKDT

Thanks Joe,

I downloaded the Linux floppy shell script tar.gz file and went to work.
I like the way the script give one choices (for the nonce, I don't want
dhcp) and loads only the needed NIC modules.

The target box won't boot from the floppy for some reason. I tried the
floppy on a different box and it booted, but it had the wrong NIC
modules and only one NIC in any case. So, now to get the hardware
working.

Thanks again Joe,

Cheerio! fgd.

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 03:29:44PM -0800, Joe Dintzner wrote:

> http://www.Coyotelinux.com may be an option.
>
> Worked well behind the cable modem. No bells and whistles. My problem
> was that I could not get the remote logging to function. (my errors most
> likely)
>
> I used a DLINK 530tx+ NIC, linksys lne-tx 10/100 NIC, 350mhzPII, ASUS
> p28-f motherboard, floppy, and 32 megs SDRAM. Behind that was a DLINK
> DSS-5+ Switch then five other PCs.
>
> The nice thing was it solved the linksys befsr41 lockups I had been
> having.
>
> HAppy Friday
>
> Joe Dintzner
>

> On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 11:29, Fielder George Dowding wrote:
> > Greetings all,
> >
> > Well, I trust the IT Expo experience went well and those who were able
> > to participate are well on the road to recovery. Now to the point.
> >
> > I loaded ipcop last Friday and actually got it to work. I had to switch
> > NIC locations (both PCI) to get eth0 to be the card I wanted for the
> > LAN. I then went through the rest of the setup from my browser on my
> > workstation. I still had the ipcop box on my KVM switch so I could check
> > to see what was happening when I made a change in the browser.
> >
> > I found I could connect to my ACS DSL (something I don't think I was
> > able to do the last time I tried ipcop). However, I could'nt surf. I
> > had to set up the http proxy and point the browser to the proxy (port
> > 800). At this point I gave up.
> >
> > So, here is what I want from a stand-alone firewall-Internet connect
> > server:
> > 1. Transparent surfing (no proxy port setup in the browser).
> > 2. SMTP (transparently) from behind the firewall.
> > 3. Local DNS (not on the firewall) a la djbdns (dnscache/tinydns).
> > 4. FTP, SSH, Fetchmail, etc. should work transparently.
> > 5. Probably some more that I can't think of now.
> >
> > Of course, I expect the Internet connect part to work on demand.
> >
> > Cheerio!

Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        .-.   Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska   /v\   "Woody" v3.0r1
Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service.      /( )\  User Number 269482
                                            ^^-^^