Re: M$ Flaws

Subject: Re: M$ Flaws
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Wed Oct 15 2003 - 17:58:04 AKDT

A joke, but not very funny. I just spent about 12 hours last week upgrading all our virus scan software (That was $750 for the software alone) and doing Windows updates. One such update completely killed one machine (wouldn't boot in anything but safe mode - and no amount of uninstalling updates, disabling start-up programs, or disabling hardware would fix it) That cost me an additional 6 hours of my Saturday evening to reinstall Windows and Friends. Looks like I'm going to have to make my rounds again tomorrow.

Luckily we are slowly but surely starting to use some open source software around here. I just replaced our cheap-o router/firewall with Smoothwall in preparation for some network upgrades, and in the next couple days our file server will be switched to RedHat ($100 for Redhat Pro w/ Samba is a lot cheaper than $5000 for Windows Server and the associated forced hardware upgrades to run it)

Unfortunately, we are tied to running AutoCAD Land Development, so many of our machines have to run Windows.

Justin