lost+found not found?

Subject: lost+found not found?
From: Joshua Kugler (jk@as.uaf.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 16:11:55 AKDT

Interesting problem...

[Details provided for diagnostics sake. This is all (pretty much)
chronological]

A while back, when I logged in, I was getting this error:

ldm_validate_partition_table( ): disk read failed

Well, a little googling told me I should reformat/reinstall with a possibly
with a new hard drive.

Just for fun, I backed up, and did a shutdown -F (force fsck next boot)

On reboot, it fsck'ed, and told me there were no lost+found directories, so it
created them. There were a couple other errors too. So, it fixed them. But
then on boot, there were files missing (like, oh, libcrypt.so, for instance).
So obviously something went haywire.

So I put in a new harddrive and reinstalled. Then I got the messages again.
This time, I did what I should have, dug in /var/log/messages, and googled
some more, and found out that ZIP drives can sometimes cause those errors,
and there is one in this machine.

BUT! If I look in /, /usr, /var, or /home, there are no lost+found
directories, which indicates something is a bit odd.

Can anyone offer any advice? The system runs fine. No disk access errors,
bad blocks doesn't return anything. But when I reboot and fsck, things go
nuts. Will it this time too, or was the corruption last time truly a bad
drive, and the ldm_validate errors were purely coincidental?

Thanks!

- Joshua

--
Joshua Kugler