Re: backup up, ghosting a Winxp machine

Subject: Re: backup up, ghosting a Winxp machine
From: Jamie Hushower (hushower@ak.net)
Date: Fri Oct 03 2003 - 15:07:45 AKDT

This may not help you, but perhaps someone can take it a bit further or even
offer me some suggestions...

I have not had luck doing what you desire- initiating the backup from a
Linux computer with the Windows computer acting as the remote host. I do the
reverse. However, the issue I have run into when backing up entire drives is
a file size limitation on the ext3 file system. I have several old Win95
computers with 1.2GB drives that I backup by booting Rescue Linux, Knoppix,
or some other bootable CD distribution with SMB tools. Once booted, I mount
a remote Linux share (or any SMB share for that matter) to hold the backup
image. I then type "cat /dev/hda | gzip -c > /mnt/file.iso" where the hda is
whatever drive I am backing up and /mnt is where the remote SMB share is
mounted. That works great for data that can be compressed down to 2GB or
less, but anything larger causes a filesystem error. That is obviously a
problem on a WinXP box with a 40GB hard drive with a single partition. Does
anyone know of a way to increase the allowable file size on ext3? Any way to
reverse that process to meet Jim's needs?

P.S. To restore the image, boot Knoppix, mount the remote SMB share and type
"cat /mnt/file.iso | gunzip > /dev/hda". Incidentally, as this can be done
to partitions as well as entire drives, I insure that my Linux servers have
root partitions of less than 2GB and back them up this way.

-Jamie
Jamie Hushower
Computer Consultant
Rent-A-Geek