Re: ICQ and Yahoo Messenger exporting...

Subject: Re: ICQ and Yahoo Messenger exporting...
From: Joshua Kugler (jk@as.uaf.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 03 2003 - 13:49:58 AKDT

On Friday 03 October 2003 08:05 am, Leif Sawyer wrote:
> Joshua "of the frozen north" Kugler writes:
> > Well, I've (finally) made the transition to a complete Linux
> > system on my home machine. [Well, almost, I'm still using
> > Win4Lin for a few things.]
>
> Welcome to the club! Don't feel too bad, though. I use WineX and
> VMWare to complement my Linux desktop, although for very few things.

Yup. I may just see if could use Wine. That might work, but I know
AIM/ICQ/YM use some pretty esoteric stuff. I'll have to experiment.

<< SNIP stuff about me using ICQ/YM still and need and exporter >>
> Well, first off, get rid of all of those, and use GAIM. Its gotten
> a lot better in the past couple of months, so much so that its my
> only client anymore. And it supports everything.

Really? The version I have on my machine will only let me add AIM/ICQ
accounts. Odd. Right now I'm looking at Kopete <kopete.kde.org>. They just
added support for Yahoo. I'm just trying to get it to run on my system. It
requires KDE 3.1.1 or later, and I only have 3.1.0, so I'll have to upgrade
my box even though Mandrake doesn't have 3.1.(1|2|3|4) packages yet. And
download.kde.org doesn't have Mandrake packages. So....

> As far as YM logs, you might just try 'strings'. It'll grab
> all the text from the history file. Yeah, kind of a PITA, but
> i don't know of any other way.

It's so much binary data, not even that works. It's just a bunch of
gibberish...not even coherent text. I'm really not sure what kind of format
it uses. Maybe packed or something? It's really odd.

Thanks for the pointers. I'll continue my investigation.

--
Joshua Kugler
Assistant Systems Administrator