Re: DSL vs. Cablemodem

Subject: Re: DSL vs. Cablemodem
From: Matthew Schumacher (schu@schu.net)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 08:09:55 AKDT

Jamie,

You will always get billed for hackers, crackers, virus' and the like
because they are using up your bandwidth. There isn't much the ISP can
do about that. GCI doesn't charge you for the broadcast traffic, but
everything else counts.

I have simply not been impressed with the linksys routers because I have
seen a few overheat and fail. I also don't care for the firewall. It
is VERY limited compared to iptables or another unix firewall.

Roaring penguin does work very well and I have yet to not have it work
after answering all of the questions prompted by `adsl-setup` correctly.

It is also nice to have the web/mail/whatever server on the same host so
that you don't have to do DNAT from the out side to your inside host,
then run a wacky DNS config so that your server resolves differently
inside or using some SNAT hacking to get around it.

HTH,

schu