laptops as servers

Subject: laptops as servers
From: John Peck (anjcp@uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 21 2003 - 16:07:57 AKDT

So here's a hardware question...

I've got a limited budget and need to replace my server (email, www,
ftp, file storage, etc.). At the same time, I have to give up the
laptop I'm currently using.

So, I'm considering using a laptop as the server. I'm not
particularly worried about the occasional downtime when the laptop is
on the move, but I am concerned with the likelyhood of the laptop
being on 24-7. Can the cooling systems of today's medium to high end
laptops handle this?

Any experiences/recommendations out there?

John C. Peck II
Prog. Asst./Computer Tech.
UAA Adult Learing Center
(907) 258-3195