Card Reader locks up PC

Subject: Card Reader locks up PC
From: Neil Moomey (neil@neilmoomey.com)
Date: Sun Sep 07 2003 - 16:29:32 AKDT

I've spent allot of time on this project and I'm going nowhere. All I
want is a reliable CF card USB 2.0 reader on RH9. I've tried two card
readers, a Belkin multi and a Dazzle CF card reader. Both USB 2.0. I
have a USB2 Card, Adaptec 4 port AUA-4000A. I can mount the card ok
with fstab:

/dev/sdb1 /mnt/card auto soft,timeo=2,sync,user,w,noauto 0 0

I've tried other combinations too and they work fine. Nautilus is able
to see the files on the CF card and draw the thumbnails ok and sometimes
I can even copy a file or two but most of the time when I copy a file
the dialog copy box freezes and stays open. When I try to reboot,
nothing. Turning off the PC doesn't work either. I have to throw the
power switch. I took some photos of some Moose this morning and I've
spent more time trying to download them to my PC than it took me to take
the photos! I've rebooted my PC 6 times at least with the same
results. The photos are 2-3 MB each.

The card reader works fine in Windows 2000 but yesterday I installed
Visual Studio 2003 and now it says my password is wrong so I can't log
in.

Any advice?

Unlucky