Torvalds Slams SCO

Subject: Torvalds Slams SCO
From: Stanley Long (slong@customcpu.com)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 14:43:22 AKDT

  Peter Galli
eWIIK, August 20, 2003

Torvalds:
"But what I find interesting is how it shows that the SCO people are
having such a hard time with the truth."
        <http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1227128,00.asp>

eWEEK: For its part though, SCO has said that there are so many lines of
code, and a variety of applications and devices that use that code, that
simply removing the offending code would not be technically feasible or
possible and would not solve the problem. Do you agree?

Torvalds: They are smoking crack. Their slides said there are [more
than] 800,000 lines of SMP code that are "infringing," and they are just
off their rocker. The SMP code was written by a number of Linux people I
know well (I did a lot of the SMP IRQ scalability myself, personally),
so their claims are just ludicrous. And they claim they own JFS
[journaled file system technology] too. Whee. They're not shy about
claiming ownership of other people's code—while at the same time beating
their breasts about how they have been wronged. So the SCO people seem
to have a few problems keeping the truth straight, but if there is
something they know all about, it's hypocrisy.