Re: Gentoo HELP....Solved

Subject: Re: Gentoo HELP....Solved
From: Tim Jordan, Network Services (Timothy_Jordan@labor.state.ak.us)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 06:40:40 AKDT

Thanks to everyone who responded.
Jake called me and sure enough my /etc/fstab was not configured properly.
Itrebooted quick and clean after the fix.

Thanks again,
Tim

Jason Jeremias wrote:
Tim,

It perhaps you didn't modify your /etc/fstab to point to the correct mount
points?? Simple fix, you haven't broken anything. Just restart the machine
off the gentoo install disk, mount your / partition (use fdisk -l /dev/xxx,
where xxx is the disk id to print all your partitions). Go into /etc and
modify your fstab to point to the correct locations. So for example your
session might look something like this.

mkdir /mnt/mydisk
mount -t ext3 /dev/sda5 /mnt/mydisk
cd /mnt/mydisk/etc/
vi fstab
# correct the file
sync
sync
cd /
umount /mnt/mydisk

Nice to see some more people on the list trying out Gentoo. Gentoo is an
awesome distro, its the best distro for my uses.
-J

Tim Jordan, Network Services wrote:

Jake,
I've screwed up again! I did something that is causing the following
errors:

modprobe: can't locate module /dev/ROOT
modprobe: can't locate module /dev/ BOOT

The boot processes finally ends with:
*Fsck could not correct all errors, manual repair needed.

The hard disk is know good.
I'm going over the documentation again...and searching the web.....any
ideas?

Gentoo is really good at showing my lack of experience with Linux...:)

Tim

--
[IMG]

-- Binary/unsupported file stripped by Listar -- -- Type: image/gif -- File: pb_linux.gif