Ordering the IDE devices...

Subject: Ordering the IDE devices...
From: Joshua J.Kugler (isd@as.uaf.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 16:30:34 AKDT

We just purchased, for our server, a very nice Promise Ultra133 TX2 dual IDE
controller. Works fine: boots up, detects drives, Mandrake install
recognizes it, and everything.

The problem comes when it's time to partition. My two big drives (each
masters on their channel on the TX2) show up as hda and hdc. The master
drive hanging off the primary channel on the motherboard shows up as hde.
Not what I was intending.

1. Is there anything wrong with this? Can I put /boot on hde and still have
lilo write to the MBR on hda and boot from there?

2. Is there any way to modify this? The Promise controller doesn't come up
with any options when it boots, or any way to modify its configuration.

I just wasn't planning on making one of my RAID 1 /home drives hda and boot
from there. If one of the /home mirrors fails, I still want to be able to
boot the system (preferably without a floppy).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

--
Joshua Kugler, Information Services Director
Associated Students of the University of Alaska Fairbanks