Re: Gentoo 1.4 released

Subject: Re: Gentoo 1.4 released
From: Tim Jordan, Network Services (Timothy_Jordan@labor.state.ak.us)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 09:34:49 AKDT

I did not encounter any problems during install. Once the install was
complete and I did my first reboot is when the fun started...:)

Tim

Justin Dieters wrote:
It's just a standard Linksys 10/100 PCMCIA. Do you have trouble in general
orjust with Gentoo? For Gentoo, I just had to type in "gentoo dopcmcia"
during the boot prompt to enable PCMCIA services, and then the card was
automatically configured and set up to use DHCP. Justin Justin, do you have
an onboard NIC or a PCMCIA card? I ask because I have had a tough time
getting my PCMCIA card to work! -- HTML Attachment decoded to text by Listar
-- Justin, do you have an onboard NIC or a PCMCIA card? I ask because I have
had a tough time getting my PCMCIA card to work! Tim Justin Dieters wrote:
Thanks for the info. This is my first Gentoo install. I decided to go with
the stage2 for 686 (Installing on my PII laptop). I had already downloaded
the Athlon ISO, so I booted with that, and then just downloaded the 686
stage2 tarball and installed using that. It's working out so far. I figure I
will save the stage1 install until after I get a better feel for Gentoo.
Maybe if I decide to install it on my AthlonXP desktop. Are you talking
aboutthe genkernel script? I decided to try it out too. Seems to be working
so far - my laptop should be just about wrapping up compiling the kernel. I
will just compile my own kernel later if I don't like it. Fwew.. my poor
laptop is going to be compiling until the cows come home. And I haven't even
gotten to compiling X-and-friends yet. I use blackbox, but I think I'm still
going to need to compile Gnome/KDE support for the applications that need
it.. Justin ----- Original Message ----- From: Jacob Gemmell
<evilbob@sdf.lonestar.org>[1][1] Date: Wednesday, August 6, 2003 8:01 am
Subject: Re: RE: Gentoo 1.4 released Stage 1 can be optimized for any CPU.
Its basically the point at whichyou start to define your optimizations. So
the Stage 1 for a AthlonXP is the same as a Stage1 for a Pentium 3 is the
same as a Stage1 for a Pentium4 is the same as a Stage1 for a Via C3 is the
same as a Stage1 for a Duron and so on and so forth. Down load the basic ISO
and start from there. I noticed in the new instructions that the install now
includes a script for generating yourkernel. I'm curious to se how that
worksout. On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Justin Dieters wrote: Is using the basic iso
and setting optimizations manually preferrable to using another iso, like
theathlon-xp iso? I was planning on learning the hard way and doing a
stage-1install, but the only stages I see for the athlon-xp is 2 and 3. Are
stage1 tarballs> only for regular x86? Justin --
evilbob@sdf.lonestar.org[2[2]]SDF Public Access UNIX System -
http://sdf.lonestar.org[3[3]] There are 10 typesof people in the world:

[IMG]

--- Links --- 1 mailto:evilbob@sdf.lonestar.org 2 mailto:evilbob@sdf.lonestar.org[2 3 http://sdf.lonestar.org[3 4 mailto:aklug-request@aklug.org 5 mailto:aklug-request@aklug.org

-- Binary/unsupported file stripped by Listar -- -- Type: image/gif -- File: pb_linux.gif