script holds up system when booting

Subject: script holds up system when booting
enderak@gci.net
Date: Tue Jul 01 2003 - 16:53:29 AKDT

Short question:
Is there a way to start a bash script and just let it run without waiting for it to finish, other than using '&'?

Long explaination of question:
I use a script called 'apmiser' (http://www.sifry.com/apmiser/) which automagically adjusts the cpu speed on IBM Thinkpads depending on cpu usage to save battery life.

Right now I have to start it manually after my system is booted. I am trying to get it to start up at boot time, but I'm having trouble with it. I set up a script in /etc/init.d/ and put the appropriate links in /etc/rc3.d/ and /etc/rc5.d/ to have it start right after apmd is started.

When I boot, it gets to that point, and then won't go any further. It starts apmiser, but doesn't continue booting. I think this is because apmiser never returns - it just sleeps and checks cpu usage a few times a second, and makes adjustments. Since it never returns, my system gets stuck waiting for it to return. I've tried doing 'apmiser &' in the start script, but it doesn't help.

Thanks,
Justin