Re: gentoo docs

Subject: Re: gentoo docs
From: Tim Jordan, Network Services (Timothy_Jordan@labor.state.ak.us)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 08:52:42 AKDT

Here is a snip from there web site....emerge is part of their Portage
design.

What is Portage?

Portage is the heart of Gentoo Linux, and performs many key functions. For
one, Portage is the software distribution system for Gentoo Linux. To get
thelatest software for Gentoo Linux, you type one command: emerge sync. This
command tells Portage to update your local "Portage tree" over the Internet.
Your local Portage tree contains a complete collection of scripts that can
beused by Portage to create and install the latest Gentoo packages.
Currently, we have over 4000 packages in our Portage tree, with new ones
being added all the time.

Portage is also a package building and installation system. When you want to
install a package, you type emerge packagename, at which point Portage
automatically builds a custom version of the package to your exact
specifications, optimizing it for your hardware and ensuring that the
optional features in the the package that you want are enabled -- and those
you don't want aren't.

Portage also keeps your system up-to-date. Typing emerge -u world -- one
command -- will ensure that all the packages that you want on your system
areupdated automatically.

bryan@ak.net[1] wrote:
Could someone out there email me the emerge man page? I'd like to read it
before I install gentoo, but I can't find it on their web site. -- Bryan
Medsker bryan@ak.net[2] --------- To unsubscribe, send email to

[IMG]

--- Links --- 1 mailto:bryan@ak.net 2 mailto:bryan@ak.net 3 mailto:aklug-request@aklug.org

-- Binary/unsupported file stripped by Listar -- -- Type: image/gif -- File: pb_linux.gif